Beaver10: Be careful with this topic.
I will say this after Hunting Montana every year (for both Big Game and Varmints!) since the late 1960's the Wolves (and other predators like Cougars, Coyotes, Black bear and Grizzled Bears!) have "affected" the Big Game herds immensely in the last 16 - 18 years.
The "predators" have changed the habits and haunts of Elk SEVERELY - don't let anyone tell you they haven't!
The Elk though are smart and they have of recent taken up residence, for much of each year, on private ranches - I surmise this affords the Elk SOME protection from the marauding transplanted Canadian Wolves and other predators!
Sadly the Bighorn Sheep, Mule Deer and Moose populations were/are unable to attain this protection.
Our Moose here in SW Montana have been absolutely decimated!
I Hunted a particular mountain ranges foothills for well over 20 years and would see 150 to 400 Mule Deer in a late season day - introduce more predators and the same mountain ranges foothills are now "special draw tags" and its rare to see even 10 Mule Deer in these same traditional haunts!
Sad.
There are simply WAY to many predators in Montana - PERIOD!
And I could give a Grizzly crap less what any outdoor writer or "game department official" burps up about this issue.
Yeah there are lots of Elk still in some areas but they have taken refuge for the most part on private (non-Huntable!) land in western Montana!
As long as the fish, wildlife and parks liberals are protecting predators I don't see this situation improving for the traditional public lands Hunters.
Another example for your consideration - I also Hunt Elk during the rut in SW and western Montana - and have done so for MANY decades.
I had a secret area in Montana (that Dwight Shue and Larry Jones also Hunted on occasion!) for years I would see 2 to 10 mature Bulls A DAY during the height of the rut - the transplanted Wolves became so abundant (active) in this area that the Elk literally disappeared from it!
Last time I Hunted there for 8 straight days I never saw an ELK! Not one, not a cow not a calf not a spike bull!
Since then I have traveled there numerous times to double check my unbelievable new reality - still haven't seen a Bull there!
BUT... lots of Wolf sign.
We (as Hunters!) worked long and paid hard and dearly to rebuild our Moose, Bighorn Sheep and Elk herds only to have their numbers dramatically affected and Hunting opportunities diminished by transplanted Canadian Wolves.
I say this to the liberal feds and the liberal game department administrators who brought us even MORE predators from Canada - "thanks for nothing and doublephuck YOU"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy