Interesting topic. Predator hunting is my favorite, mainly because of simplified logistics. I have spent at least 3 weeks of every year, recently as many as 10 weeks/year hunting wolves in Idaho and Montana w/ out success.
I have, in that time, seen plenty of deer and elk. Many were living and plenty were victims of predation. In most of Idaho and Montana the people who live on the land (ranchers] were universal in their opinions that predators were a significant problem. Their biggest concern, in my limited experience, was w/ coyotes and that wolves were close behind and lions and bears a distant, but not insignificant factor.

I have spent the last 25 days roaming the hills South of Yellowstone and have seen wolves and grizzlys several times and their tracks almost daily. All of the outfitters that I have encountered are cursing the predators at least as much as the warm weather. There are still some mighty impressive racks coming out of these mountains.

I believe that shrinking habitat due to increased human population is the greatest threat to wild animal numbers in our lifetime. Humans breed and compete for territory far more successfully than do the wild critters.

Mike's Law: Having a wolf tag will allow you to see more Big Game than wolves.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC