Originally Posted by atse
A few thoughts from 18 years of hunting wolves as a gvt trapper in montana. Wolves have indeed affected elk populations in certain areas. Yellowstone park, the Sellway wilderness, and the Frank Church wilderness come to mind. I am sure there are a few others as well. The Sellway, and Frank have lost well over half their elk numbers from the early 90s. The wolves don't get hunted with much success in these remote areas. The hunting season in Montana has been removing from 200 to 225 wolves a year for the last 4 or 5 years. Pretty similar numbers in idaho. This has been a good sucess, and has slowed the overall growth. Elk numbers in much of Montana have been at over fwp numbers for years. We have large numbers of elk that never leave the pivots. They are protected there, and it is a giant food plot. I would live there too. The wolves down here today are the same wolves as the past, not a different breed. They have been going back and forth across the Canadian border since forever. We killed a wolf one time that had a GPS collar put on it near Calgary alberta. It went 500 miles in a month eventually setting up shop west of helena. Removing wolves from an area will not be a permanent solution. Once a pack is removed, New wolves will move into good habitat within 6 months to a year. I have a couple places that I have removed 3 or 4 packs due to livestock depredations. Don't blame it all on wolves. The last 2 winters here in western Montana have been rough, especially on the mule deer,and winter kill was high especially on
the Rocky mnt front. Lion numbers are really high,and between them, and grizzly, and black bears, fawn , and calf crops are being heavily impacted in some areas. Hope some of this info helps clarify some questions.

Great info, thanks

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.