Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by ol_mike
lvmike ,

Do you shoot coyotes while wolf hunting ?

Have you called in any wolves ?

I definitely shoot coyotes if they come in while calling. I have been told that wolves and coyotes don't share territory but I have seen their tracks in the same area. Last week I saw a Wolf in the Pacific Creek riverbed and called it w/ a cottontail in distress call. It showed interest but didn't come in and may have already seen me. I couldn't have shot him anyway as you need a special tag for this close to Yellowstone. In this region I only call where I have good visibility due to seeing grizzly tracks almost daily.

mike r

You may have perked his curiosity with that distress call, but I'll bet unless he was a hungry, lone animal that's all you were doing. I have not had much luck at all using prey distress sounds with wolves. I have called wolves in with non distress cow elk calls, but when specifically targeting wolves I leave all the food source calls at home.

Wolves hunt in packs and seem to prefer perfectly healthy animals, other than those that have been weakened by winter. I use nothing but wolf vocals anymore and have had found more success. Use their extremely territorial and pack nature to your advantage. Don't overlook a pup in distress call though.