I hunt elk pretty much every year in SW Montana and occasionally elsewhere in Montana. I have had the good fortune to hunt this area since the late 1970's. In recent years I have also noticed that much larger numbers of elk have been hiding out on private ranch land. I believe that is one of the biggest changes I've seen and it certainly has an impact on opportunities for elk. I've actually seen more moose than elk in the region so far this year, so they still do exist! The moose sightings have always varied from year to year. One season we saw 16 in three days, other seasons we may see one or none during the entire season. Wolves are now well established in the area and grizzlies are very well established. I've watched grizzlies chow down on elk calves so they too have an impact on the elk, as do cougars. The last couple years have been tough for elk (in my experience), this season I missed a chance at a nice bull cause I didn't react quick enough and saw quite a bit of sign, so thankfully the wolves haven't eaten "all of the elk". I hope to get out for a couple more chances this season. Weather has been odd, first week it got down to 15 below with snow and then second week it was in the 50's at times. You never know what the weather or elk are going to do from year to year.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~