Where I live in central Idaho there were many more wolves reintroduced there than were in Yellowstone. During the first years after the reintroduction the elk kill by wolves was high which was easily told by the number of carcasses.
Also the number of livestock kills was very high which continues to be a problem -
https://www.postregister.com/farman...c46554b-f37d-592c-b2da-182826a9f4da.html

I live in the heart of some prime elk country and it is easy to see when there is a pack nearby because I will have elk and deer in abundance near the house and outbuildings, they will stay near night and day until the wolves are gone, this is not uncommon you can see the same throughout central Idaho. So yes, at least in this area the elk have learned that they are less likely to be bothered by the wolves if they are near human habitations.

In the first years of the wolf reintroduction, before there was a hunting season for them, I had wolves come right up to my deck steps during the night. It was common to see tracks through my place after a fresh snow, and quite often I would see them within a couple of hundred yards during the day. I have ridden to within 75 yards of them prior to having a hunting season, once hunting season was opened they became much more wary and I rarely see them or their tracks now. They adapt quickly.

Personally I don't mind having them around, my biggest gripe is that I haven't had a good shot at one since the season was opened on them.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.