Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by denton
I spent a bit of time carefully reviewing the White Settlement church shooting video, trying to take lessons from it.

As reported on this board, the successful immediate responder used a Sig P229 in Sig 357. That's a manly tool, with a manly bite.

The attacker was using a shotgun. Few survive being shot with one at close range.

So I thought of how it might be to be in that church, under attack, by a nut with a 12 gauge. Suddenly, my P238 380 seemed a bit on the small side. True, one or two well placed shots from it will disable an attacker, regardless of what armament he is carrying. Still.... Would I be better off carrying a full size 9mm? It's more accurate, and more potent. With it, I can pretty reliably do head shots at 15 yards. It's also a pain to carry.

I'm heavy, and can't manage some of the holsters that more slender people use.

Shoulder holster under my shirt??? Never tried one. Sometimes, I use a small leather brief case, but then I have to keep it in my grasp at all times.

Thoughts?

Antelope Sniper made a lot of good points in his reply & I'll just add my thoughts & what I use & do.

I am not at all a fan of small guns or a 380 (though my wife carries one for size); if is difficult, IMO, to be precise at much more than spitting distance with mouse guns & in many cases, the individual that you might be facing may either be juiced on drugs or a large person on has on heavy clothing or any combination of those circumstances, all of which significantly reduce the effectiveness of most rounds.

My EDC's have a range of guns, mostly all about the same size, Colt Commander sized, S& W1911 round butt, Kimber Pro, M&P 2.0 with 3.5" barrel, G-19, Beretta 92 Compact & for a small gun a G-27 which can go into a jacket pocket. I want precision & power& shootability & all those guns provide exactly that whether is a 9mm, 45 ACP or 40 S&W...................all are more than adequate with good bullets like Federal HST's.

I am a fair sized guy at 6'1", 225 lb & my waist has gone up to around a 38-39" size as well.

I have tried most major brands & types & materials of holsters available ranging from Sparks, to Brommeland to various Galco & Crossbreeds & many other, I have a drawer full of them. But for the last couple of years, I've settled on a very low cost Remora & it works better for those sized guns & is more comfortable, than almost any other design & it's under $40 & the same holster fits several similarly sized guns, with or w/o a rail.

Check it out & do not be put off by the loop-less design.............it absolutely stays 100% in place. If you go that route, get the Artemis cut with sweatshield, fleece lining (ease of withdrawal) & reinforced mouth also for easy withdrawal.

I like & use shoulder holsters, given suitable attire & especially when in a car for long periods of time. Miami Classic is my current choice.

MM

I’ll have to give the Remora holsters a try.
Where do you purchase yours MM ?

I also like Galco shoulder holsters. I prefer their Jackass Rig for my Glocks.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~