Originally Posted by denton
I spent a bit of time carefully reviewing the White Settlement church shooting video, trying to take lessons from it.

As reported on this board, the successful immediate responder used a Sig P229 in Sig 357. That's a manly tool, with a manly bite.

The attacker was using a shotgun. Few survive being shot with one at close range.

So I thought of how it might be to be in that church, under attack, by a nut with a 12 gauge. Suddenly, my P238 380 seemed a bit on the small side. True, one or two well placed shots from it will disable an attacker, regardless of what armament he is carrying. Still.... Would I be better off carrying a full size 9mm? It's more accurate, and more potent. With it, I can pretty reliably do head shots at 15 yards. It's also a pain to carry.

I'm heavy, and can't manage some of the holsters that more slender people use.

Shoulder holster under my shirt??? Never tried one. Sometimes, I use a small leather brief case, but then I have to keep it in my grasp at all times.

Thoughts?

Your reasoning is sound in my estimation.
Your body type might allow you to carry more options than a little skinny dude.
A small man in his 80s, friend asked me about carry options with caliber in mind.

I strongly recommended the 9mm.
There's all kinds of good options that are plenty compact....you already had over 100 responses so that's plenty without my two cents.

9mm has more real world testing.
Practice ammo is cheaper and more plentiful.
Practice with some pistol that you LIKE will end up being a more effective weapon for you.