Originally Posted by lvmiker
What ever gun/holster/belt system you try you will need to wear it from waking until you go to bed every day for a week to figure out if you can make it work for you. If you are not carrying at all times at home or out you will find it difficult to achieve a level of awareness and competency that you appear to seek. Dryfire practice at home will allow you to work out a presentation with various systems and clothing combinations. If possible record your practice sessions and ruthlessly critique yourself until you have removed all unnecessary movement and have a smooth, repeatable presentation from start, through the draw,sight alignment and trigger press. With deliberate practice most people can draw from concealment and fire an aimed 1st shot into 6'' at 10 yards in 1.5 seconds and 6 in <3 seconds. A shot timer is very helpful in setting goals and verifying real progress.

Be honest w/ yourself and realistic about your actual level of competence on demand.

mike r

Excellent points, and I agree completely.

I would add--and others have said this already--you will try holsters and find them wanting, so you will likely end up with a box of them on a shelf. The problem is that some holsters hold the gun well, but don't allow a smooth draw. Others are great to draw from, but they're uncomfortable, or they won't hold the gun. And so on.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars