Originally Posted by ol_mike
COOL Jim - bet you'll love it !!!

DO NOT BREAK IT IN LIKE YAMAHA SAYS TO DO ! ! !
Unless you want it carbed up and slow .

This is a proven technique and i've researched it in depth .

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Yamaha wants you to super pamper it for financial reasons . Don't putt around on it that just slows the time of an important step of getting the rings seated fast .

Run it up 3/4 throttle - don't lug the engine low RPM in too high a gear - run it through the gears downshifting at high RPM --- trust this info. ...

Back in the all 2 stroke days I knew Ed Scheidler. He was the head of Yamaha USA off road development. I asked him about break in procedure and he said the team just ran the bikes. He mentioned in less words that the engine needed to be run to get proper ring seal. He was a mechanic for Pierre Karmakers when he came to race US motocross. He was at Yamaha through all the greats, Hannah, Glover etc. I believed what he said.
The article you posted is excellent. The author has written about breaking in a rebuilt motor. His philosophy was to take a an engine using NO oil on the rings, when the cylinder is on, kick the bike through dry about 30-40 kicks. He recommends this for 2 and 4 stroke bikes. I did this on a Honda CR250 and a Honda CRF450. When I sold my CR250 the guy that bought it remarked that it was faster than 2 previous bikes he looked at. I will continue to use his techniques whenever I rebuild anything.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.