"Carry".
It's like economics, women, banking, cars and trucks, and everything else within the control of physics and reality. There is no such a thing as "perfect". There are many different things that can or should effect your carry.

For most of my time as a military man I carried a full size 1911 in a flap holster, but 2 times I carried inside my waist band at the "kidney position" for some unusual sets of circumstances. Later while I was working for the DOD I carried 2 different S&W M58s on 2 different assignments, also in no more then my belt. I never used a revolver in either Central or South America that was in a holster.

In the time I was a cop (less then 2 years) I carried a 6" M-28 "Highway Patrolman" in a Banchi holster on my duty belt and I carried a Colt Combar Commander in either a shoulder holster or in a pancake holster at the kidney position.

What was best?

For comfort, the flap holsters with the full size Binachi belt rig being a close 2nd.
What was best to carry concealed?
The belt tuck with no holster at all.

BUT---- I did end up in a run for about 5 clicks in Sough America when I had an M58, and having no holster at all made things difficult to a point that I had to carry it in my hand for about 4 of the 5 clicks I had to cover. I was being chased too, so I really HAD to run.

All types of carry are a balance between (1) comfort, (2) concealability and (3) ease of use.

Large handguns are easier to use accurately then small ones. In those 3 categorizes above you MUST give up something in one to gain something in any other. If hiding the gun is of no importance I can say the best thing to do is carry a rifle or shotgun. If a long arm can't be carried but you still need not conceal, carry a big handgun openly in a good holster on your belt.

I have real experience, and I tell all that will listen to make the best use of what they have, which will chance with your size, your skill level and your "mission".

Bigger is easier to use but harder to carry and hide. Try a 1.5" 380 next to a 4" revolver, next to a 7.5" revolver next to a rifle and you'll see what I mean.

In some areas like the south west USA and most of Central America wearing very thin summer clothing is part of the job and if you wear something you can easily hide a gun under you attract eyes of everyone around you. So in some cases shorts and a tank-top with a deep concealed gun that makes you look like you are "1 step from naked" is the BEST way to be ready for a fight---- because you can be in a place to react instead of just getting surrounded and shot out of hand.

In northern climates I have used full size 6" and 6.5" barreled N-frame S&W revolvers (357s 44s and 45s) MANY times as day to day carry, and never had a problem hiding them under a winter coat.

So "Mission" should be the foundation for any system of carry you can use, or choose from.

Look more to training and "Mission Statement' then hardware and theory.

Your gun is a tool, and you are the workman. Skill is what is important and to use any gun skillfully you must first have it available and 2nd have enough training to make the skills work.

The real world trumps theory 99 time out of 100.

Last edited by szihn; 06/22/20.