Remrug,

I got stopped by a Maryland State Trooper once and got a ticket for exceeding the speed limit.That was in 1964 right in front of our farm and I was speeding.That was my first and last ticket, not that I have always obeyed the traffic laws perfectly in the past 40 some years tho...:)

I was a LEO with Montgomery County for about 10 years when I got out of the service.At the time, that was one of the better, more professional departments in the entire nation.Even then there were line officers I disliked working with as they had an attitude which could provoke a sheep to fight..and usually did.
I spoke my mind to my shift sergeant on more than one occasion.Several of thos thugs moved on to different vocations under poor circumstances.LEO managment and other line officers are not blind to those among them who are poorly suited to the job-profession..it just sometimes takes time, documentation or a very serious incident to weed them out.

I moved on to a different vocation years ago and haven't lived in or been back to Maryland for over 35 years.The reports I hear from folks who do live in Montgomery County now are not very good, but times change..sometimes for the worse..Present Chief Chas Moose was Chief in Portland Oregon prior to taking the job as chief in Montgomer Co Md.
I didn't care for him when he was here and many of those who worked under him didn't either.

In retrospect, you might have simply thanked the officer for stopping you to let you know the running lights weren't working..and asked him IF you could get out to take take a look-see..

Generally, just getting out of the vehicle unless requested to by the officer( particularly at night) will make tensions rise..

He may have allowed you and your friend to talk and to get out and walk to assess your sobriety..A probable long day fishing and two fellows heading home with a truck-boat will yield probably a 30% rate of DUI among drivers in many states.

In most states, any driver may be pulled over.. if for nothing else than to verify valid driver's license and proper registration-insurance...seat belt use, carseats etc etc..

No suspicion or PC is needed..it's a small invasion of our space we all must waive as MV operators if we wish to lawfully operate a MV on the highways.

Anyhow, glad you and your friend weren't at risk for any other matter..and wouldn't hurt to run thru the circuitry of the trailer lighting and stop lamps and connections in the light of day as boat trailer wiring gets alot of abuse from water and bouncing along.
What you saw as a frivolous stop beats getting rear ended at night IF the lights fail intermittently or are faulty...:) Jim