Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by shaman
I I'm planning to be down the whole two weeks this year, so I'm sure it might be just him and me for a few days.

KY deer season runs 11/14-11/29. Based upon what I've experienced hunting deer in ND, MT, MN, and SD, if Shaman was so kind as to invite me and was he expecting to be in camp all season, I'd be lobbying for being in camp during the last week of season rather than opener.

Yes. There's really no telling yet how this year is going to shape up. I've seen some real monsters out there in the last week. The beginning of season, if it's a warm one, usually sees the deer still back in the woods eating on what's left of the acorns. Once those are gone, they move out into the pastures and go after remaining clover. We have picked up some really big ones as this transition happens, usually in the second week of season. This is includes our #2 buck and the Half-monster that would have been the camp record, except he broke off the whole right side of his rack.

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I like a new guy who does his share of the chores, pays his share of the expenses, and who follows the rules.

I like a new guy who wants to learn the lay of the land by walking it, not by looking at a Google Earth map. I like a guy who stays on his assigned stand, doesn't get bored, and doesn't walk around disturbing the deer. People leaving their assigned stands is a pet peeve of mine that dates back almost 50 years when we put a new guy on a stand and drove a massive buck to him only to find that he got bored and wandered off. The buck tracks went within 50' of the stand and would have presented an easy shot for him.

Exactly. I think NewGuy is not going to be a wanderer. He's used to stand hunting with a bow. My main concern is that he gets proper support. When 4 of us all have all of our tags to fill, it's hectic.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer