So what happens in your deer camp is your business and doesn’t effect us at all. Other than you posting on the World Wide Web about it. You have given some great, thought out conversation about this but one thing I hope you’ll learn from it, like it or not, the “World” is not in your corner on the treatment of “NewGuy”. You are definitely the odd man out with your thought process here. I’m quite a bit younger than you. Turning 39 here in a couple days. I was a hunting guide for a lot of years and I’ve personally hunted in 14 different states, in three different countries on two different continents and I feel confident in saying that not one person in any of those circles I have been around would be handling NewGuy like you are. Again, your deer camp your rules but by and large, and on a scientific fact base level, most of the world thinks you’re in the wrong. This thread is proof of that.

I can understand to a degree where you’re coming from, I will never understand the total dis-inclusion of NewGuy from opening weekend which sounds like a lot of fun, even though hectic. We can’t wrap our heads around you being so tight with your people but being so conditional and not even giving a chance for NewGuy to prove his metal (or grit). All the scheduling conflicts, other reasons, one including you and your people would be very unforgiving and spiteful if he happens to kill a bigger buck than the rest of you, is sorry at best and seems like an attempt to smooth the world over in us thinking you aren’t this over bearing jerk “Patriarch” we kind of think you are...

In my head, and I know I’m not alone, the conversation should have went like this. Forthright and clear with no room for personal interpretation on your expectations. “Look NewGuy, You’ve proven yourself up until now, that’s why we/I are welcoming you to camp. Opening weekend is hectic. Bad hectic. We and I aren’t going to have time to baby sit you. If we have to, it will really hamper our hunt which only comes around once a year. It is a big deal to us and we aren’t getting any younger. You are also low man on the totem pole for seniority so you are going to be hunting spots nobody else wants and sleeping on the couch or in your truck until a bunk opens up later in the week. We have expectations of you to hunt an area/stand and stay put there. If you kill a deer, here are the rules and what you need to do. If you happen to kill the biggest buck in the woods, we are going to give you crap about it, but that’s just because we are jealous and envious so appreciate the hell out of it if it happens. You have an opportunity here to really show us what you’re made of, and you have an opportunity to really screw it up. If you aren’t okay with any of that or don’t think you can handle it, it might be best you sit the first couple days out but we’d love to have you around to help where needed in the skinning shed or dragging deer. The more you are around us, the more you’ll learn “our” ways which will really be great for all of us.” and more with the understanding from everyone in camp that the new guy has a lot to learn. You all should be willing to help teach with patience.

Again, none of this matters to us in the end but I’ll bet if you would have typed something along those lines, there wouldn’t be 7 pages of the world giving you crap about the treatment of NewGuy.

Todd