Originally Posted by shaman
You'd be surprised how many young men my sons have started grooming for deer camp only to have them wimp out or weasel out. The biggest issues are

a) Hunter Ed? Who needs that?
b) Licenses? Tags? Why don't you just let me come on your tags? I'm not paying that kind of money.
c) Seasons? I'm coming out when the weather is warm, screw this November crap! You're the landowner; what you says goes.
d) Who needs to read the rules? Rules are for wussies.

. . .or you get some bizarre story about previous hunting experiences that sound like they came from the State Police blotter. Thankfully, my sons have been doing all the Triage and saving me the hassles.
All I can say is that my sons' generation, as far as city kids go, is woefully lacking in basic hunting skills and sensitivities. Either that or they're so addicted to video games they can't leave the couch. We have invited a good 2 dozen of their friends for camping and shooting. Even the shooters haven't a clue.

NewGuy is the first honest prospect in a decade.

One note: Issue A washes out about 90%. Kentucky now allows a one year waiver on Hunter Ed. The idea is try-it-before-you-buy-it. In one of my few edicts as patriarch, I said nobody hunts with out a pink card. The reason is that completing Hunter Ed shows a commitment as well as a certain level of competency. If you won't spend a weekend learning basic gun safety, why should we be responsible for teaching it?

Sounds like your son's need to learn how to pick better friends...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth