I agree with those who think this has been and interesting and potentially useful thread. The article is thought-provoking, even if some think it does not address the "real problem". Unless I missed it through carelessness, deflave did not respond to explain "what the real problem is".Bristoe made some good points for thought about what has become - so have some others.

Yes, the issue of lasting and rewarding marriage has become complex for many folks - for many behavioral reasons, and the way we have run our society has made the problem even more complex. Yes, no doubt, some of us got lucky with our marriages and, beyond that, others succeeded through commitment and hard/unselfish work.

This may sound daft or old-fashioned (not applicable?) but maybe the most effective path for the younger set of folks today would be to keep the mating process basic and very rigorous. Emphasize some simple but huge over arching values and be tough - very tough - in making decisions about those with whom you will be close. Most successful persons know how to differentiate between work and play - between improvement and self-gratification.

The process of choosing friends who will be valuable and help bring out the best in you and your life should be taught by all parents. For guys, simple factors applied to choosing a great woman should also be so taught. I know that such teaching can work for girls.

If that is taught well - and young folks do it well - most of the atrocities associated with failed marriages -- individual and societal - will apply elsewhere.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron