Originally Posted by bobmn
Dirt: Try Alliant 2000-MR powder. I shot 4 buffalo with the 4000 grain Swift A frame. No need for solids. All one shot per buffalo.

I've heard too many success stories with NPT, A-Frame and TSX (350 gr. and 400 gr.) buff kills without issue. But, the PH wants 400 gr. solids and 400 gr. softs, so that what we're loading. We're trying to stay on the reservation. PH has an excellent reputation, but evidently isn't much of a gun guy. Reportedly many aren't. They know their craft and what works, end of story.

I have a can of PP 2000 MR and was looking at it as well as CFE-223, which some say is close, maybe the same powder. IMR 4320 and Leverevolution are pretty close regarding burn rate, 4064 not that far off. I've heard Big Game works well in the .375 H&H and generally what's good for the old H&H is good for the .416 Rem.

With limited time and limited components, I may not be able to do a full work up like I would with another round. And, even with a standing bench, a range session with a big gun has it's own rewards. And I get stuck with the bench work, bud just wants to shoot critters. He thinks I'm better at the bench, but he for sure is a better shot out in the field. Different skill sets, no doubt. I had worked up a 7RM load, 160 NAB over RL-26, which he calls his "magic load". It really did a job on PG a couple of years ago. He even saved the emplies, wants me to reduplicate that load. I have plenty of primed brass just like he took to Africa, but I'll reload those cases...

Tomorrow, I'm going to call Bill at Swift and see what loads he suggests for their new Swift solid and their A-Frame to have the same POI or at least pretty close. If he sugests RL-15, 4064 or 4320, I'll probably go with his suggestion. I do have all the powders mentioned. RL-15 has been such a classic for so long, I wouldn't be surprised if that's his choice. I think there are newer, more temp stable powders in that burn rate range, but that's another issue.

Thanks,

DF