Originally Posted by gunner500
LOL, I'd run with it, you got it handled, plus saving those near unobtainum components, you know, next steak house visit, i'll bring my 416 Rigby I torched the throat in, it's the only rifle I have that has whisker burns on the side of the stock and my right pinky finger wore the blue off the face of the steel grip cap, I shot the chit out of that thing getting ready for Africa, read to many mage about it I guess. grin

Am going back to the Limpopo this fall, come hell or high water.

Didn't that .416 bore suddenly become a 505 Gibbs?

You, being the only dude I know who actually shot out a big rifle.

Another friend (not the two discussed) went ele hunting in Africa, bought a Merkel .500 NE. I helped him with loading the 570 gr. bullets. I got to shoot it. Big push, actually not as nasty as I thought it would be. I'd rather shoot it than a light Wby 340 or such. Those slap you, as you well know. I've had a.340 Wby and a 338 Win, both went down the road, still have a .338-06.

The Gibbs seems more potent than the .500 NE, 570 gr. at 2,150 fps, Where as the Gibbs is more like 525 gr. at 2,300 fps. That's a considerable difference.

Only a hoss like you would shoot out a Rigby and rebore it to a Gibbs. Bet you haven't shot it out,,,Yet...

DF