Originally Posted by test1328
Dirt, yes, the high temperature exposed tests that I ran was with Swift A-frame bullets. However, they were handloads, not loaded factory ammo.

I checked my reloading info, and I was using 79gr. of RL15 with the 400gr. Swift A-Frame. For solids, I used the Northfork flat point solid and bumped the powder up to 80gr. for that. I know you're most likely going with 4064, so that info probably doesn't help. I did a lot of work with 4064 in the .416 Rem, but I was using the 370 gr. (I think) Northfork soft point for that work. I was never able to get consistent accuracy with the NF soft, so abandoned that and went with the Swift A-frame. Looking back, I'm amazed and how much $ I spent trying to make the NF bullet work for me. Lots of rounds downrange!

By the way, in case you didn't already have the info, my old (#1) Swift reloading manual shows a maximum load of 78 gr. of IMR4064 for the 400 gr. A-frame at 2409 fps and says that it is at 96% load density.

Interesting accuracy report, NF vs. SAF... I'm curious now, accuracy: NPT vs SAF. Guess I may get a chance to find out. I think terminal performance should be pretty close. If the Partition out shoots the A-Frame, I will report. If so, I hope Bill doesn't read about it.... blush

I'm surprised that he didn't have RL-15 in his load data. Seemed he included about everything but RL-15. RL-15 has sorta been the gold standard for the .375 H&H for years, and generally what works well in the .375 H&H, works well in the .416 Rem. He's using IMR 4064 in his loaded ammo. So, in their testing, 4064 must have come out on top. I'm not gonna try to re-invent that wheel. I have a full, older can of 4064 that I'm going to start with; powder looks good, smells good. Will load Africa ammo from a newer can. Not sure it's better, just newer.

DF