Had a nice visit with Bill at Swift. Very knowledgeable. I heard the story of their development of the Breakaway Solids. Interesting.

They use 4064 powder with Fed 215 primers. His instructions were to work up a 50 yd. load with the 400 A-Frames, loading three at 73 gr, three at 74 gr. three at 75 gr., using a chrono. To do that, I'll have to use my std. bench, not the standing one. As previously posted, my Magnetospeed is set up free standing, needs a longer bench. Bill says to use a bag of shot to buffer recoil. Their factory A-Frame ammo has 75 gr. 4064 at 2,340 fps. 3.510" COAL.

THEN, he said, load a few Breakaway Solids. He said the left to right deviation will be minimal, what we're now doing is bringing the vertical with the solids in line with the A-Frames. Their .416 Rem Breakaway solid load is 77 gr. 4064, 3.570" COAL. He said to seat the solid with the driving band inside the case neck such that the crimp can fold over the driving band. They like the Lee Factory Crimp die as do I.

He has Varget, H-4895 and IMR-4895 load data, but prefers 4064, no mention of RL-15. Evidently the 4064 loads are not compressed, running around 95% case fill.

So, with that info, I'm ready to begin load development once my bullets and cases arrive. Just remembered, Bill said to start with a fouled barrel, not one all clean and oiled.

Will report.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 02/22/21.