Originally Posted by dieselfitter
I killed a nice hippo and a Buff with the 370 gn CEB Safari raptor. Shoot excellent out of my Dakota 416 Rigby. I killed a bunch of other African plains game with it as well. It was a little overkill on some critters but it was the only African caliber I had back in the day.

I like CEB Raptors, have shot them in a .308 and a .375 H&H, both surprisingly accurate. I've read that some PH's like them.

I guess until they become better known, more mainstream, the rank and file PH won't even know what they are, must less what they can do...

Like has been said before, those guys are masters of their craft, but not that many are gun nuts. They tend to go with conventional thinking about bullet choices. And, if I was going on my first hunt with one, I'd probably do like my buddy is doing, go with the PH's recommendation.

Some contend it's "your hunt", do your thing. There can be two sides to that story, as there usually are to most stories. I for one, am not gonna try to talk him into using what I may like, but will load what he needs according to the PH's request. He'll have 400 gr. NPT's and 400 gr. SAF's to choose from for the soft and the new Breakaway 400 gr. Swift Solid, tweaked for the same POI. I think he'll be in good shape regardless of the order in which they load those rounds. He's an experienced BG hunter and an accomplished field marksman. When the PH gives him a shot, that buff's gonna get whacked.

DF