Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gunner500
A HELL of a nice old hard bossed bull there DF, Congrats to your Buddy.

Thanks, gunner.

Bud has been in law enforcement most of his career. Retired from a state job, he went to work for the U. S. Marshal Service. He said his biggest challenge was staying is shape to keep with with those guys, many less than half his age. But, he did.

He told his PH, he didn't want an "old man's hunt", and the PH obliged him. He said it was a pretty hard hunt but he kept up with the PH and his guys. Talking to him, I think that was half the pleasure he got out of the experience. Of course, a 41" buff is nothing to sneeze at and it looks good on his wall...

DF

Man that's cool as hell, I just had a buff hunt too, averaged 10.5 mi per day with just over 11 being the longest, over mountains and through dry and wet river sand, not an old man hunt I guess, didn't think to ask, still damn near kilt my lazy ass ; ] very glad for your old Bud, hope this other Bud connects and has a hell of a hunt too.

Bud with this buff if a gun nut. He was shooting 400 gr. TSX over 100 gr. H-4831 with Fed 125's out of his .416 Rigby RSM. Said he shot that gun 250-300 times off hand at a hundred, getting ready. (sounds like someone else I know)... grin

Then killed this buff at 25 yds. with one TSX.

Other bud is an experienced BG hunter, but depends on me to do his gun work, which I don't mind doing. He has a fine hunting property that I use, help with tractor work, etc. In fact, I loaded some 350 Speer "rabbit" loads for him to practice with in his .416 Rem M-70. Well, I'm gonna pull those and seat the 400's, he never shot them.

I'll be doing the sighting, although there may not be that much difference at 50 yds, 350's vs 400's. We'll see. Bill at Swift said to sight at 50 yds. I had sighted the 350's at a hundred on a standing bench.

So, when everything arrives, I'll have (24) Swift Breakaway solids, (50) 400 gr. NPT's and (42) 400 gr. SAF's plus more brass. Bill said to load (3) rounds with the 400 gr. SAF, 73 gr. 74 gr. 75 gr. 4064 and shoot. Then adjust the Solid load for same POI as softs, all at 50 yds. His Swift solids are loaded with 77 gr. 4064.

I'm almost tempted to duplicate Swift factory loads and go shoot. I now know exactly the COAL, load, etc. of Swift A-Frame ammo, both soft and solid, even details on crimping..

Different guys, both good hunters, one a Loony/hunter, one a hunter who's killed more BG in more places than the Loony bud ever thought about. He's shot caribou, moose, elk, bear, deer, nilgai, etc, in the lower 48, Mexico, Alaska and Canada. He had a great PG hunt in RSA 2 yrs ago. I've posted stuff on that hunt and the "magic" 160 gr. NAB 7RM load over RL-26. At least he thinks it's magic, was magic for him. So, now to develop a "magic" .416 Rem load for buff.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/01/21.