Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by test1328
I'll see if I can dig up some load data tonight after I get home to share with you tomorrow.

By the way, before I left for Africa, I took 4 rounds of my selected A-frame loads and set them in the sun on the dash of my truck on a 90F+ day and let them bake there for about 30 minutes. To say these rounds were hot, would be an understatement. I could barely hold them to load them into the magazine. Then I fired them to see if I saw any signs of pressure. All was good, so I had no worries when things heated up in Africa. I realize this was not a scientific experiment, that the rifle itself acted as a bit of a heat sink and I did not actually measure the temperature of the rounds, but at least it lifted one worry from my mind.

Swift A-Frame ammo?

DF

If so, we now know they’re loaded with IMR-4064.

I’ve searched around on the web, not extensive, but have read reports where 4166 didn’t prove as accurate as 4064. Some say it’s as accurate. 4166 has decoppering agents, which may be of benefit. It may be more temp stable, but evidently 4064 isn’t that bad.

In my current situation, I think I’m going with Bill’s protocol using 4064. If they use it in their Swift A-Frame ammo, it’s good enough for me.

Their Breakaway Solids cost around $5.80 each. That’s right, each bullet. Reportedly a loaded Swift round cost nearly ten bucks. Glad I’m a hand loader. I hope those solids are as good as they say. They better be at that price.

DF