Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I got that unload/load drill from Bill, head honcho at Swift. Seemed to work for him. Empty rifle with a wounded buff nearby doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. But I’m not a buff hunter, he is. And he makes the bullets. I’m just a reloader. Bill was very helpful with technical info, so I’m in no position to criticize him. He knows a lot more about all this than I do.

DF

Dirtfarmer, these comments aren't directed at you, just to the the general participants of the thread.

Well, people do all sorts of different things and I suppose Bill is probably more experienced than I am. It doesn't sound smart to me, but who am I to say?

In any case, I'm a firm believer in listening to your PH and using his assumed greater experience on hunting buffalo than I possess. If you happen to have the ability to pick and choose your PH and can discuss these things with him ahead of time and then find one that has the same beliefs regarding bullets and hunting buffalo as you do, great! However, in my experience, the hunter doesn't always get to choose. Even if you think you'll be hunting with a certain PH, often times something comes up and you end up with a different PH than intended. Personally, I'm not that wedded to my beliefs on buffalo bullets and buffalo hunting, that I can't be flexible. I'd rather have both softs and solids available and then load accordingly based on the PH's recommendations and the situation at hand.

And, by the way, don't think that PH's don't deal with clients all the time that insist their way is the best and pay no mind to the experience of the PH. You can imagine the regard the PH has for clients like this.