Phil,

Good to know the "improved" Hornady DGX worked well. The first version was a little dicey, according to my PH friends.

Have killed buffalo, and been standing alongside hunting partners who killed them, with Barnes TSXs, Combined Technology Fail Safes, the late lamented North Fork soft-nose, Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frames, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and probably a couple I've forgotten. Have also discussed buffalo "softs" with 25-30 PHs. The cartridges have run from the .375 H&H to .458 Lott.

Probably the most surprising comments came from John Van Der Meulen, the father of the first PH I hunted with, who like my good friend Kevin Thomas grew up in what was then Rhodesia, and acquired his early experience on buffalo in the same way as Kevin, by culling hundreds on ranches. John's choice of a "soft" back then (30 years ago) was the .258 Winchester 500-grain "solid" made with a gilding-metal jacket--because it expanded somewhat ("riveted") yet penetrated well--usually without exiting, important in herd shooting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck