Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gunner500
LOL, I'd run with it, you got it handled, plus saving those near unobtainum components, you know, next steak house visit, i'll bring my 416 Rigby I torched the throat in, it's the only rifle I have that has whisker burns on the side of the stock and my right pinky finger wore the blue off the face of the steel grip cap, I shot the chit out of that thing getting ready for Africa, read to many mage about it I guess. grin

Am going back to the Limpopo this fall, come hell or high water.

Didn't that .416 bore suddenly become a 505 Gibbs?

You, being the only dude I know who actually shot out a big rifle.

Another friend (not the two discussed) went ele hunting in Africa, bought a Merkel .500 NE. I helped him with loading the 570 gr. bullets. I got to shoot it. Big push, actually not as nasty as I thought it would be. I'd rather shoot it than a light Wby 340 or such. Those slap you, as you well know. I've had a.340 Wby and a 338 Win, both went down the road, still have a .338-06.

The Gibbs seems more potent than the .500 NE, 570 gr. at 2,150 fps, Where as the Gibbs is more like 525 gr. at 2,300 fps. That's a considerable difference.

Only a hoss like you would shoot out a Rigby and rebore it to a Gibbs. Bet you haven't shot it out,,,Yet...

DF

grin, that it did Sir, my 10lb 500 Nitro with both 570gr Barnes's running at 2160 ish isn't too bad, it's built on a merkel boxlock action, iirc the original 505 Gibbs loads with 525/535's at 22-2300 fps were a handful, my loads with both 600gr Woodleighs at 2450 is indeed a hellbender, those were a few test loads, the rest are loaded to a very manageable but still potent 2150 with the 600's, I need to get that thing to Africa too, I don't doubt the Woodleighs.

No Sir, I haven't shot it out, wouldn't survive the trying! cool

Wow!

600 gr. at 2.450 fps. Now, that's a gunner load. I know you guys have some monster 'dillers there in SE OK, but those 600's gotta over penetrate.... grin

Elk in NM doesn't throw that much lead at his jackwabbits... Well, maybe close...

I could see why you'd want to drop it to 2,150 fps and I'm sure that load doesn't rattle your fillings quite as bad.

BTW, what's your favorite .505 Gibbs powder and how much?

DF