I did learn a hard lesson a few years ago when I took my son in law hunting for his first time... walking back to the truck we took a detour through a strip of timber I knew the deer liked to hang out in close to sunset and it was about 30 minutes before then so we sneaked in and stopped every few feet to glass around and check the shadows for deer waiting to head down into the canyons just a couple hundred yards away.

I put my Leupold binos up and looked around and when I scanned across a dark shadow under a heavy fir tree I could see a big four point looking back at me- but just barely. I slowly put my binos down on the harness and brought up my rifle and looked all over for that deer with my 3-9 Leupy on my rifle and couldn't make it out to save my life... looked through my binos again and there it was, but just barely made it out... if my binos had been attached to the rifle I could have had a dandy deer that evening, but my scope just wasn't up to it in the same light conditions... I'm pretty sure most scopes wouldn't have been in that situation and I run into that situation more often than I like to admit....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.