Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by 1100RemingtonMan
Well I have a early 1980’s Weaver 3x9 40mm with Micro track and I have shot a Beaver at night with no light in a cornfield and when I went to go retrieve it I tripped on it as it was that dark. Held zero for years in Weaver mounts never had a problem. I think all this talk is 99% BS as most quality scopes will suffice for Big Game hunting 30minutes before sunrise and 30m after sunset.
Yes just this year I put on a on my Rifle thinking 40 years is a long time for a scope. Is my new scope better time will tell how it holds up.

This alone makes you a somnabitch, your glass comparison notwithstanding.

LOL

🦫

I concur. That was just mean!

Truth be told I used my Whelen with an old VXI 3x9 fir quite a few years and never knew I was missing out. Until I started using a little better glass.

I have one example of a big buck I shot at 2 in the afternoon. Ground was covered with patchy snow but it was just a dark day with clouds and I was sitting where about 150 yards was max shooting. The buck slipped down a ridge, I saw horns but damned if making him out with the 4x Leupold wasn’t a pain in the butt. Since then I’ve gone to a bit brighter optics for the woods holes I find myself in and don’t regret it.

Out in the wide open, clear day the M8 isn’t half bad but in the darker scene it doesn’t do me any favors. Still got the deer easy enough and I’d still use the scope if that’s what I had but the 6x Schmidt on that rifle now is some kinda better and not really much more money than the typical 3x9 these days.

Semper Fi