Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by gunner500
It isn't, most hunting is done with iron/peep sights on Sharps rifles or old original Winchester lever rifles, my top glass rides on defense and target rifles.

Gunner, really ? Your alpha glass only sits on specific, non hunting rigs ?

Huh...I didn’t know that.

Well, that’s cool.

Question, if you were going to hunt a scoped rifle, would you use tier 1 glass, or something else ? Being that you have shot behind and own solid optics.

🦫

Terrain, range and critter would dictate glass, lifetime Western Bull Elk hunt? big 338 firing 300gr Accubonds at 3000 fps, 2.5-10 NF would get that job, set and forget Leupolds and even an old steel tubed Weaver 4-12x40 AO get deer here with ease.

Jerry,

What were your African hunting rifles scoped with?

Ed, got 3 safaris easily done with the 1.5-5 leupold, they ride on 375 H&H, 400 Whelen and 400 H&H, got the rest done with full buckhorn barrel sights on '74 Sharps rifles and Express sights on 577 double rifle, all animals were dead with one shot, PH's requested some insurance shots on the dangerous animals as we walked up, i'm plenty okay with that too.

Alpha to me means clear [descent] glass with absolute certainty on tracking, a nice bull elk out west from 500 yards on out where twisting turrets is the reason i'd use Nightforce.

Trump Won!