Jason,
In coastal timber for elk, I’m using either open sights on a lever gun or a lightweight Browning BAR MK3 with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 scope. Both, to me, have advantages. Running shots on bulls in dense timber, I prefer open sights and shooting with both eyes open.

If we’re heading into timber with pockets of small clearings/wallows and meadows, I like my scoped BAR. The 2.5-8x36 is a pretty decent timber optic at reasonable yardage inside a canopy of Doug Fir.

As you stated, it’s unrealistic to claim one size fits all the types of hunting environments for optics, rifle chamberings, or even boots...With that said, my personal experience, especially hunting elk on pub-land on the Coast, is optics rule, both in scouting with long glass, scanning the hunting ground with bins, or in a scope.

I always have to assume, other hunters have done the same leg work I’ve done, to scout up bulls before opening day. Because of the competition, and the inherent seriousness found in people during bull hunting, any advantage, is a good thing.

In contrast, me sitting over a shooting bag for 10 hours shooting ground squirrels or p-dogs - my scope optics are not the same quality as my big fur rifles. They’re good, helpful, and easy on the eyes for extended lengths of shooting. But the glass isn’t tier 1 stuff. For me, it’s perfect for that type of hunting I’m doing.

I believe that since I’ve been on both the unlucky end of having game shot out from me, and also the winning side of taking animals before others had the opportunity, mostly due to optics. I would encourage anyone who hunts public land with OTC tags to consider what I have found helpful by upgrading to a solid performing scope with glass good enough that a person can transition from the bins to their scope in low light and watch heads until you can hit the go button.

🦫

PS

I hunt the Wilson Unit exclusively for elk the past 43 years....Damn, I’m getting old !

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”