Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Alpha scope glass is what you want if you are trying to see very small targets a long ways away. I've done comparisons between my Nightforce NXS's and SHV's vs. the much cheaper SWFA SS straight power 16x scopes. Not even a contest, even at 500 yards. Ill generally shoot a 2" target at that range and really have to squint and try to focus with the SWFA. Using the Nightforce scopes with MOAR reticle is like child's play. Even though the SWFA tracks equally as well as the NF scopes, the focus and resolution and clarity is no where near as good. That's where "alpha" glass prevails. Also the reason the lesser ones got sent down the road.

I am pretty happy if I can hit a 6" target at 500 yards 7 out of 10 from field positions other than prone with a really good rest. My lowly SWFA 3-9 allows me to see targets, holding steady on sticks or improvised positions at 500 yards limits me when shooting animals. 2" at 500 yards is out of the question. What position/rests helps you hit 2" targets at 500?

mike r

Bi-pod with a rear bag works just fine.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA