Originally Posted by Beaver10
The last 10 years, the unit has exploded with hunters. There was a time when the Coast bull hunt was a plan B for dudes that didn’t draw an Eastside hunt.

They would typically roll in Friday night and pray for an elk sighting over the next 4 days...Over time, these hunters started learning from coming back and talking to other non-local hunters about the areas and how our elk move.

Today, if you’re trying to hunt by truck on logging roads, you’re going to have crowds where the elk herds are easily seen.

Last season, we were down two hunters. I elected to puss out and go to a few honey holes by truck where I had put eyes on bulls.

Didn’t matter that we arrived at 3:30AM opening day, hunters were already there sleeping in rigs where we needed to head in before light...They ended up missing a decent 4 point, I had hoped we’d hunt up.

Day 3, I got on a small spike. I passed on him, but hailed my pard on the radio to come to my spot to get take the shot if he wanted...By the time he’d made his way to me the spike and cow moved into a deep ravine. We had a big storm crushing us, neither of us wanted to dive into the steep timber with 60 mph wind gusts hammering into trees.

Last season brought back the bad memories of too many hunters running amuck in drivable areas. I’m going back to the hike in behind locked gates, no vehicles hunting. That 2, 3, and 4 mile up hill trek cuts the hunting pressure by 90 plus %.

Yeah, definitely a different scene than I am used to during archery elk season there. There are a lot of bowhunters but with the month long season it's never that heavy. And by mid-season, the bulls are usually getting fired up and start screaming. Getting an arrow in one, in that terrain, is obviously a challenge. But it's exciting when they come running from the bottom of a hell hole, or from the next ridge over to fight. Makes it easier on the legs grin

The coast isn't my first choice though. I apply for controlled hunts, and if I don't get anything then I usually archery hunt East and West. My one rifle hunt in the Wilson Unit was basically to help a buddy. I was shuttle driver for a few days, but still had a tag. I never hunted his area of the unit before. Too close to roads, camps, and OHV trails for me but the elk were in there.