Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT

Well, where to start? First, a lack of conviction does not equate to not having faith in Jesus.

It's not difficult to grasp. Faith is a conviction of truth. Those who have Christian faith believe in the reality of God and Jesus. Believing in Jesus is a conviction of truth, which is a belief.

A belief and a conviction of truth is one and the same principle. Faith is a conviction of truth, which is a belief.....in this instance a conviction/belief held without verifiable evidence.

A lack of conviction is simply not being of acceptance of the truth about something.

You got it.

Where is the problem if one is not “convicted” of the truth about Jesus? The man “chooses” to reject the truth…he does not accept Jesus. The man rejects the truth. We see this all the time, not only in religion but also in our culture. The man prefers prideful, sweet sounding lies to the reality of truth.[/quotte]

The problem, as pointed out many time, is a lack of verifiable evidence to support a justified conviction of truth. What it says in the bible is no more an example of evidence to support its claims than what is said in the Quran or Gita, etc, etc, in regard to their claims.

[quote=TF49]
You are also wrong about atheists being justified by absence of evidence. This is simply wishful thinking and a childish hope for a “Get out of jail free card.”

Wrong. Justification requires evidence. Without evidence you have faith.

This was understood a long time ago.

"Faith is like a piece of blank paper whereon you may write as well one miracle as another." ~ Charles Blount (1654-1693

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as a useful tool." - Seneca

A person of reason considers the evidence and forms convictions based on the weight of evidence. And once again, if evidence for the existence of a God or gods comes to light, reason demands a conviction in their existence.

To condemn someone for exercising reason is an grave injustice.

Well, you are still wrong. To close, the opinions you espouse….. and your opinion is that the evidence does not exist. You are wrong on that. The evidence exists, but you discount it. You have blinders on.

Nobody is condemned for exercising reason. Condemnation comes from rejecting God.

In fact, clear thinking and unpolluted reasoning brings one straight to God.

You also have muddled thoughts on ”faith.” Faith is indeed based on evidence….and experience….but you are not “convinced” and are simply rejecting the evidence to suit your own twisted views.

I didn't offer my opinion. I pointed to accepted definitions of words and references, and to the injustice of condemnation based on a lack of conviction. In this instance, not being convinced/believing in supernatural bible stories, God, salvation, etc, simply because that's what the gospels say.

Requiring convicing evidence that supports extraordinary claims is not a punishable crime. It's basic practice in everyday life, except it seems when it comes to religion and faith.

Nope….. one is not condemned for “not being convinced/believing in supernatural Bible stories.” I don’t believe you can back up your statement….. justify that Jesus taught that…. that this is Christian doctrine.

You can’t back up what you say…. You fabricate…. Make up…. What you call Christian teaching is false..in reality it is just a straw man of your own making that you ridicule. You lay on your own wrongful interpretation of Jesus teaching, then complain about it.

Well, you can’t back up what you say…..so let me show you why you can’t: this is Jesus speaking to a group of Jewish leaders. Pharisees if you will. These are folks who know…. Without a doubt, that Jesus has been performing miracles… yet, they still refuse….. they still reject. This is not a matter of “insufficient evidence.” This is a hard heart and pride issue. A hard heart and a prideful attitude will not ever see the evidence…. Will not ever be convinced.

John 5:39-40

“You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in the, you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.”

Jesus is the source of “life.” There is no other. …”…yet you refuse to come to me to have life.”

Rejection of the Son….. that is the issue. Simply saying “….well God, this is your fault because you failed to convince me” is not a viable defense. See Romans 1:20

Come to Jesus…. Have life.

Don’t come to Jesus…. Reject Him….. the result is then no “life.”

Last edited by TF49; 09/28/21.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”