Originally Posted by 158XTP
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Adamjp
Pistol cartridge carbines are fun guns for pigging in swamps, not for hunting on most places.

A 9mm carbine has to be a sub-machine gun to come close to being useful, but not anyway that I know for sure. I've used 357mag out of a rifle on kangaroos and it's totally effective out to at least 70m, as far as I've shot them anyway. I was amazed it worked as well as it did. Hornady XTPs are brilliant.

'

I shoot XTP's to 125 yards, they are good killers yep. A 357 in a 1894 or even better modern 1892 repro( which are as strong as some bolt actions) can push 158gn bullets towards 2100fps.

Originally Posted by 158XTP
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Adamjp
Pistol cartridge carbines are fun guns for pigging in swamps, not for hunting on most places.

A 9mm carbine has to be a sub-machine gun to come close to being useful, but not anyway that I know for sure. I've used 357mag out of a rifle on kangaroos and it's totally effective out to at least 70m, as far as I've shot them anyway. I was amazed it worked as well as it did. Hornady XTPs are brilliant.

'

I shoot XTP's to 125 yards, they are good killers yep. A 357 in a 1894 or even better modern 1892 repro( which are as strong as some bolt actions) can push 158gn bullets towards 2100fps.

I was wondering about the 158 XTP reference. They have a great reputation. A really good shooting and handloading writer, Brian Pearce, is very complimentary of that bullet and the .357 from carbines and describes loads similar to what you mention. In his estimation, at appropriate ranges, the practical performance of the .357 from a carbine is similar to that of a .30-30. IMO, that’s pretty high praise.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein