Originally Posted by minengr
[quote=zcm82]
From what I've read/seen/heard, the history of wildlife in Australia is complicated. Lots of opinions on native, non-native, and feral species. Opinions of fox, hogs, rabbit, cane toads, and cats alone could generate pages of discussion. But, I live half a world away and I'm probably wrong.

Id sum up the main differences between US and Australia as follows

US has far more guns, gun rights but so many hunters per game it has strict regs and seasons to manage them.

Australia has plague proportions of at least a dozen major species, my state alone has the worlds largest population of wild pigs, they outnumber people by a million or so, wild cattle, wild camels( well it shares them with a couple other states), wild donkeys and probably wild horses. Also have wild dogs, goats and cats but not sure how we rank numbers wise. In Australia you can shoot most gameno bag limits or seasons, day or night, from vehicle, boat, bike or helicopter, blast away until your barrel melts and leave it to rot. Dedicated hunters here have kills in the thousands.

However....there is an important caveat most Aussies dont mention. There is very little public land available for hunting anymore. You usually need your own land or permission from another landowner to shoot anywhere, and as farmers/landowners are worried about the vandalism, carelessness and liability these days, its not as easy as it used to be to get onto land. There are some states which allow hunting in state parks and have programs to cull animals in protected areas, but by and large Australias greatest surface area is permission only hunting these days.