It is interesting to see the different attitudes of people in different countries. Usually, the opinions voiced regarding the practices in another country come from ignorance, rather form any real knowledge. The concept of having to carry a gun everywhere you go seems to be uniquely American; although there are certainly people in other countries who feel the same way. In general though, better life choices make a great substitute for being armed. If you are not involved in the drug trade, the chances of being shot are drastically reduced. If you are not a belligerent, aggressive driver, the chances of being shot are drastically reduced. If you do not belong to a gang dedicated to trying to piss off another group, your chances of getting shot are drastically reduced.
In North American, there is a long tradition of hunting for sustenance and for sport; this forms a large part of the basis for the right to firearms ownership. Of course, the other supporting argument for firearms ownership stems from the perceived necessity to protect individual freedom FROM THE STATE. The greatest threat to liberty is seen to be one's own government. This contention is demonstrable worldwide, so there is certainly a point to it. It is only in recent years (say the last forty years or so) that so many Americans have begun living in fear of violence as an everyday situation. In essence, many citizens have chosen to raise the stakes for everyday interactions. At the same time, the general breakdown of social etiquette and respect for others, has exacerbated the problem.
I was born in the great state of Idaho and spent my years growing up in Idaho, British Columbia, and Alberta. I was educated in both countries and served in the US Army. I have travelled from coast to coast numerous times. At the same time, I have no personal knowledge of Australia and have never been there. This lack of knowledge doesn't seem to hold anyone else back, so I'm going to jump right in too.
The impression I get, regarding Australians, is that firearms were not as central to their lives, in frontier times, as they were to Americans. People were more widely dispersed and the challenges were different. They didn't have large herds of buffalo or other game to hunt. They had no large predators to defend themselves against. All in all, their challenges were more along the lines of getting enough water to make a living, and a gun didn't help a lot here.
In Canada, things were more like in the US in many respects. Hunting was a way of life for many. There were (and are) plenty of large predators around, and the carrying of a gun (rifle or pistol) was prudent.
I have, for most of my life, usually had a rifle in the truck. This is not for protection against criminals but I have put it to use against predators or to dispatch injured animals along the highway. I almost always carry a rifle if I'm in bear country, and I just like carrying a rifle; I always have. I like a rifle over bear spray. A sprayed bear might still bite me; a dead bear won't.
I strongly suspect, if push comes to shove, it might turn out that Australians are a little better armed than many might think. Rural Australians, like rural Canadians and Americans, are a pretty independent lot. I think they are more inclined to act, when necessary, rather than bluster when it is not. GD