Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by zeissman
Originally Posted by zeissman
The ignorance shown by some of the American posters on here regarding firearm laws in Australia is beyond belief. You'd think that if someone was going to criticize a country's firearm laws, that they would at least have some idea what they're talking about.

The latest Global Peace Index for 2022 places Australia at 27 and the good old USA at 129. That's right, 129, far worse than many 3rd world countries. The simple fact is that in Australia and New Zealand (rated 2nd safest country) people don't need to carry a firearm for self defense because there is no threat. I'm 70 years young and have never known any member of the law abiding public who has needed a gun for self defense and I was in law enforcement for many years.
Of course, being an ex-police member, you have the attitude that only police should have guns and the general public should be completely defenseless. If a house invasion is happening or a group of African youths are attacking someone, then the victim should just call the police, and the Police will come, half an hour later. Zeissman do you also think the Police should be disarmed?

The public is armed if they want to be and I fully support that. Try arguing with a 12 gauge shotgun, even an old side by side, loaded with buckshot.
The Australian laws and NZ laws do not allow you to be armed either in public or in your own home. It is illegal to have a firearm for self-defence and any attempt to use one for such purposes will land you in prison with a hundred thousand dollar legal expense and your gun licence cancelled. Firearms must be locked in safe's and so does ammunition in a separate locked facility. There is no way that anybody during a home invasion could have a firearm ready for a home invasion and not be committing a "crime". And you know that.

C'mon man - you can't be that naive, surely. Who would be stupid enough to choose the potential murder of themselves or their family members over the fear of a potential fine for legally defending themselves - using whatever force necessary to defend their lives.

Safes are used for storage of firearms and ammunition BTW - investigate what that means.
You are not allowed to have a firearm for self-defense, it is illegal for you to have a firearm immediately available in case you need it for self-defense, you are highly unlikely to know that a home invasion is imminent so that you can take it out and load it and use "self-defense" as a legitimate reason for using it...so if you have a firearm ready in case there may be a home-invasion and you use it, the chances are that you will be up on a murder charge and other charges and immediately thrown in jail. Now were you to take a firearm into a public place, even if it's in a bad part of town at a bad time (night-time) and you used it for self-defense, you would be up on a murder charge as well as all the other charges, and you would be thrown in jail straight away.

Bullshit. Don't go full Ribka on us now (you never go full Ribka, ever). Only a prize cunt would jeopardise their family safety to avoid facing possible legal ramifications of some error of judgement. Better to face a court that attend a funeral of a loved one, especially if you had the means and ability to try and prevent it.

Ok then, I fully agree with your last sentence ...

I'm curious what "loaded ready for defense" firearms you have in your house .... this does not include "stored" guns & ammo in separate safes/lockboxes etc ...

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".