Originally Posted by mauserand9mm

Pest animals are "invasive introduced species" by definition. I guess that there could be "non-invasive introduced species" but don't know what they are. Deer are a non-native animal of Australia. According to the report deer may carry exotic disease and are a general threat to the biodiversity. Australia has many unique, small animals that are sensitive to the impact of these larger introduced animals and the effect that they have on their habitat.

Yeah, I understand the reasoning for it, just really stood out while reading since deer are the premier game species here in the US. I know the U.K. is having issues with those little muntjac deer being quite a disruptive invasive.

Even here where deer are native, they can become a serious nusciance when unchecked. Back in the early 2000s when I was living in Minnesota, deer hunting was actually allowed in certain places within town limits for a few years because they had gotten so thick a bunch of people were hitting them with cars in residential neighborhoods.

Originally Posted by triplecanopy

Yes, but not as bad as the camels. There are estimated to be over 500,000 wild camel in the deserts of 3 adjoining States. Fences are no barrier they just walk through them, knock over water tanks and trample native scrub. I was on a 1 million acre cattle Station (ranch) in Western Australia once and the owner showed me a place where he had shot a heap of camels. It looked like a dinosoar graveyard. He used a Winchester mod 70 in 270.

Hard to go wrong with .270 for a medium game round. I used one for whitetail deer quite a few years myself. Mine was a Remington 7600 pump, though.

There were some feral camels in the southwestern US that got loose from an experimental Army camel corps in the late 19th and early 20th century, but they never got well established and had all died off by the 1940s.