SAS,
Couldn't agree with you more. Everything offered today is blah. The European rifle market interests me to some degree these days but they're following the U.S. market with plastic and economy rifles. One thing that I can say about the few European rifles I own that the latest American manufacturers can't seem to figure out is feeding and extraction. Kimber Hunters with the magazines are about the absolute worst for positive feeding followed by the double-stack internal mag Savage setups. Tikka feeds and extracts better than anything out there albeit they're mostly plastic.

Ruger has spawned renewed interest in Marlin and the new 1895 CSBL .45-70s are pushing $2-3K on Gunbroker. I'd like to see some nice offerings from Marlin at a reasonable price point, not $1400+. If Remington can provide what you say with the Alpha offering and pay attention to detail (e.g. accuracy, trigger, feeding, extraction, fit/finish), they'll have something. The stuff that interests me is what I own now. I don't need another expendable, economy rifle.