Originally Posted by model70man
I think the gun manufacturers are being run by the marketing guys and bean counters. Seems whatever comes out in a new caliber sells like hotcakes until the owners see some new whizbang cartridge released. I also believe it's a generational gap because old guys like me (73) have experienced the finer firearms in life. I would take the Howa over a M700 or any plastic equipped rifles. Of course, Pre-64 Model 70s are always on top. All this is just my opinion so it's not worth anything. BTW, it's in .30-06.

I don’t know how much of it is generational. Admittedly, I am half your age but the majority of big game rifles in my safe predate both of us or are from the heydays of your generation. The customs in my safe are chambered in “traditional” cartridges and most are built on commercial M98s.

I feel that as people come into the sport they start with what is on the market. Especially if there is little to no history with the classics. The first big game rifle I bought for myself twenty years ago was a Rem 700 BDL SS in 300 RUM blush I had delusional dreams of cross-valley kills on elk and black tails… I learned, grew up a little, adjusted my perspective on my ethical range limits, and sent it down the road. I began investing in rifles that I would be proud to pass to my sons and someday grandchildren. I know there is a need to develop new rifles and cartridges to bring or keep people to the sport but I personally believe we have been on a downhill slope for quite some time.

Semper Fi