Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Sixpack
Originally Posted by Mike78
I still do not understand why Ruger abandoned the Hawkeye in the stainless/plastic stocks and blued/walnut. They were the best feeling, rendition of the 77 action. Ruger really messed up in my opinion.

+1

Hasn't been but maybe 3 years, and every online gun source was blowing out Ruger Hawkeyes at fire sale prices. Who abandoned who? And why would Ruger produce 2 different quality level rifles and sell both for the price of the lesser unit?

And go look now at completed auctions on gunbroker with bids and see what a used Hawkeye sells for. $700 was cheapest, but $900-$1000+ is about average, throw some intersting cartridge in it and it is more.

I'm curious, and we will never know, why the blow-out 3 years ago? I was always scouring CDNN and it was usually synthetic stocked versions on the blowout sales. Was the blow-out because Ruger sold them cheap because they were discontinuing them? Which to your point, were they discontinued because they weren't selling? Or because they weren't selling in numbers compared to what they could sell a $300 RAR? Profits drive production for sure. Nobody is in business to make me happy, they're in business to make stockholders happy.