John,

The bar has been raised. To put things into perspective, Ruger American Go Wild’s are around $600 everywhere - give or take $40 each way. Inflation has taken its toll on the gun market. I see everything being $200 or so higher than a few years ago. Some exceptions with models currently still in production, but not many. Keep in mind we’ve always been on the low side of the price curve. Some readers on here were probably seeing guns in this range previously.

I don’t think customers would walk away from a new $849 Remington 700 SPS Stainless. Maybe even $899? When they were in production and readily available, the last ones we had were around $679 to $700. I’m talked standard weight hunting rifles. I also don’t think customers would walk away from a Ruger Hawkeye or 77 MKII in the same price range. Again, speaking specifically about standard sporter stainless/synthetic version.

Kimber Montana’s were always higher. Our last few were $1149 or so if I remember correctly. The new normal would be $1400. Fieldcraft’s could be $1899-$1999 easily. Kimber Classic’s could fetch the same money as the Montana. That only holds true if they came back in the same form or of equality quality. Slapping the name on a new version with a cheaper stock isn’t an improvement and would soon be cast aside by real rifle guys.

The Montana Rifle Company could easily fall in line with Kimber pricing if done right. No more crappy stocks. They need a stock equal to the previous Kimber’s or Barrett’s to succeed. They’d also need to pay attention to weight, extraction/feeding, safety operation and twists.

Gunbroker is telling us daily what the market is willing to pay.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!