Originally Posted by JackVliet
I was just at Jay's sporting goods in Gaylord, MI over the weekend.
It is a pretty good sized store with a lot of guns.
However for bolt action rifles, there were no 243's, no 7mm 08's, no 25 06's, no 7mm mags, only one .270, one .280ai, three 308's, two 30 06's, and one 300 win mag.

Ofcourse, there were atleast 40+ rifles in 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5prc, and a surprising amount of weatherby 6.5 RPM's.

Obviously not nearly as many people are buying the cheap 6.5's or the tactical 6.5's, just not selling like the standard rifles are, atleast at that store.

I picked up that. 280ai, a kimber mountain ascent. I am not a big fan of the digital camo stock, but I love the way it fits me and have a sweet spot for kimber rifles.

One thing I've noticed from this thread that I can't understand, is how many "older" gentlemen refuse to take an $800 dollar woodstocked rifle into the woods. They don't want to scratch it up, but rifles were meant to be hunted with. $800-$1200 for a woodstocked rifle is really not an astronomical amount, but many of you here refuse to take something like that to the woods out of fear of hurting it, even though there are millions of other guns just like yours.

Imo there need to be more Kimber 84m and 84l type of rifles out there, with wood stocks and nice bluing as well as the Montana style rifles. And I'll pay $1500 to $2000 for it.

I take every wood stocked rifle I own in the Woods. I hunt Laurel, rocky sidehills, rain, snow, and I'm always doing it with wood stocked rifles. Even rare and antique guns see the Woods with me