Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I’d like to add this to the conversation. I’ll use Kimber as an example.

Kimber has another revenue line - pistols. I’ve been told the pistols are where they make their profits and I fully believe and understand that to be the truth. I don’t think anyone can question the fact that the pistol line far outsold the rifle line. They market their 1911’s as “custom” and it’s served them well.

From a retailers perspective, we need every pistol they make on the shelf. Every variation of the 1911 they produce sells, period. The rifle line was a totally different story. They had far too many SKU’s. Certain models would linger on the shelf for years. I’d eventually mark it down to get it off the shelf and it would go. Bargains do miracles.

If a company like Kimber, who relies on their strong/profitable revenue stream from pistols wants a rifle line, they need to take the custom approach there as well. They need to charge for it too. You can’t build a semi-custom rifle and maintain high quality on a production rifle retail strategy.

I’d be happy if they’d tell us, “We’re only making 4 different rifles in 4 different chamberings in 2022. We’re going to produce an 84M Classic in 308, an 84L Classic in 25-06, an 84M Montana in 223 and an 84L Montana in 270 - but we’re going to make them right. Twisted right, individually bedded, mag boxed accordingly. Every rifle will as close to as a semi-custom production rifle as we can make. Next year we’ll have the same rifles in different chamberings, so order as many of these as you can handle for this year. We’re only producing 1500 rifles in each offering. Everything from this point is limited production and we expect to earn your full support with the quality of our products!.”

The rifle would cost more, but people would pay for it. All manufacturers whine about niche markets but very few capitalize on it. Those niche market guys expect to pay more for what they want. And then you get the trickle down….those guys rave about their new Kimber’s and the bar has been set. The guys that bought their Kimber’s tell their buddies it’s THE only rifle to buy and before you know it the guy that knows nothing about rifles buys next year’s Kimber because it’s THE rifle and he tells his buddy.

It’s not always about price. You don’t have to produce to the masses to be profitable or successful. There will always be manufacturers that produce for the masses.

I’ve said it for years, but eventually one manufacturer will get it all right and they’ll change the game. A couple got close, but didn’t persevere.

I agree.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.