Originally Posted by Cascade
Regions and Rifles - where do you hunt, what do you hunt and what's your choice of rifle?

We know the generalizations, but where do you hunt, with what and for what? Thanks!

I'm in the northwest, Washington. I typically hunt mule deer, black bear, and sometimes elk. Usually with my 30-06 bolt action Remington and usually with a 165 grain Nosler bullet. Ya, I change that up time to time, but that's my normal "do it all" setup.

What's yours?

My rifle is an accident / anomaly. I had a good long run of rifles going, buy/trade into something, test the heck out of it, get bored, repeat. Then I hit a wall and had a good dozen, maybe two dozen, rifles that I couldn't get happy accuracy from. That lasted 10 years or so. I bought something not ideal by my definitions but it definitely checked a bunch of boxes pretty well. The damned thing shoots very well. After a decade of frustration .. I'm going to just stick with it. I may experiment with other stuff but I'm not going to get caught with nothing working as I have in the past.

I hunt mostly SW Oregon's coast range and the Cascade mountains from mid-state south to the OR/CA state line. It is mostly pretty brushy where I hunt with a few openings .. old clearcuts and fire scars. Main game is blacktail deer with Roosevelt elk thrown in. I feel pretty good with the little .308 shooting 165 grain accubonds (mostly) and 180 grain protected point partitions (much less often) and RL15. It's about a half MOA rig. I'd like to branch out to mule deer and Rocky Mountain elk .. haven't gotten the hardware I want for that sorted out yet.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...