Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I’ve never heard of a beef being shot ‘accidentally’ either and I grew up in open range cattle country. Purposefully, ya, a few times for various reasons but those incidents are rare.

We’ve all heard of the black lab coming through a check station with a black bear tag on it and mules being shot with a deer tag on it, but I have never seen anything like that occur. Certainty not any instances of beefs being killed due to misidentification, if that is what the thought is here.
Anyone remember the NY elk hunter in MT who shot a llama and took it through the check station? At that time, MT tags showed a hunters name and address. A game warden posted a photo of it online so the whole hunting world knew who did it.
LLAMAS

However, a llama in silhouette can look a lot like a cow elk. The long neck and the way they hold their heads are very similar. I don't know if he was hunting cows or bulls. A llama looks nothing like a bull.

[Linked Image from bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com]

I grew up in Golden, CO and there used to be a game check point in Clear Creek Canyon between Idaho Springs and Golden. We were going through the check point one day with a 5x5 bull elk my father took and got to talking with the warden working the check point. He told us the day before he had a truck with NJ plates come through and the guy had a mule that was field dressed and tagged with a cow elk tag. I asked him what he did and he said anybody dumb enough to field dress a mule and tag it should be allowed to eat it as well so he just told the hunter "that's a dandy" and sent him on his way. This would have been about 1972 or so.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!