Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I am the OP and asked the question. I can get/grasp the concept. What is still bugging me is the same mantra of "spotting the miss and correcting"

In my initial scenario with the antelope miss....I DO NOT have any spotters or binos with MIL reticle. If I hunt with a Bud and we are doing this, I've either already tagged out and rifle is stored, or I am guiding a Bud as a freebie and not hunting at all. Point is I doubt I would be down behind a rifle with Mil reticle watching him shoot(maybe this is my big F up?)

It would take me quite a while to think in Mils re: the miss. Should I see dirt puff just off the front brisket and behind, my first thought would be same as example "Dude, you wiffed wide right by a foot".

Someone would have to be doing some sort of reconfiguring of the next hold. Whether he holds off his estimation of 1 foot and lines up the next partial Mil or whatever. Something needs to be done.

Or you could break down the scenario and tell me how if I missed "guessing" the wind at that distance I have no business shooting that far. That's fine. I wouldn't anyhow. It was just a random scenario with non-round distance factors. But reading wind is still a "guess" or educated estimate. The Formidotilis guy said he botched a wind call under 400 yards and missed an Elk. He claims to have shot several Tac Matches and claims to be quite accomplished. Seems it can happen in the real world.

I understand the concept of running down to the 300 yard target that was a 5" off shot. I can afford a sharpie and make a large line visible in the rifle scope reticle in order to use the Mil to adjust hold off/dial correction.....But if I am looking through a Zeiss spotter on 45X and can see the 1" grid on the target and can tell that it's 5" left, but perfectly centered, isn't all the other stuff BS and making THAT harder than it needs be?

I am not trying to be obstinate. I would guess that if I purchased my own scope in Mils I could learn it better 1st hand rather than reading it. I do get that I could make a drop/wind chart in Mils vs MOA. Ballistic Aps give correction in Mils also. Not a big deal.

Just having a hard time with everyone relying on "seeing the splash" and "Adjust accordingly to the appropriate Mil in the reticle". I don't see how this really is practical in many hunting scenarios in areas other than Wyoming.

Binos/spotting scopes with MIL/MOA reticles are quite handy and universal in all situations, paper target grids and approximations of animal parts in inches notwithstanding.