JB, do you have a theory as to why the tactical community has all embraced the mil system??

I think this thread is interesting because I think it high lights there is a big difference between tactical shooting, which if you really delve into the discipline isn't really sniping but rather simply long range shooting. Long range hunting to me is closer to what sniping really is compared to tactical shooting. further I don't want to and refuse to put 10 quick rounds down ANY of my barrels. I would not do this unless I was shooting a ballistically inferior 308. I just don't want to put extra wear on my barrels by heating them up that much. however a 10 round grouping might be a great idea if you are shooting at targets alot in a tactical match and its common to need to shoot 10 rounds at a time. I don't care where my gun shoots after the 3rd shot frankly because after that heat could be effecting my barrel and I don't ever shoot at multiple big game animals at the same time.

back to john's argument about wind brackets. here my problem with mils, it just seems like an odd ball unit of measurement during field conditions, no one has ever showed me an easy to remember in my head way of dealing with the math of it. you guys that love mils if anyone here can convince me and show a simpler way of dealing with mils in my head math wise in field conditions, heck I might even embrace it. I just don't see it. could it be that you guys that are mil users have become that way simply because there is more and BETTER equipment that is mil based for long range shooting??