Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
And the discussion of using Mils as a rangefinder can stop. Not at all interested in that. If my LRF is broken or out of juice, I'd never shoot. Borrow one, or it's back to how hunting was in 1979.....250 yards/meter and under.

Funny how threads morph, huh? Unfortunately as an OP, you can't make people post only what you want them to; the discussion will always take twists and turns.

Some of the idiotic, ignorant posts declaring that anyone who uses their reticle to range a target who isn't a trained sniper is just a "wannabe" are just that; Idiotic and Ignorant.

Pitiful and Pathetic also come to mind.

A rifle and scope are nothing more than tools. Disparaging someone who wants to be able to use those tools for what they're made and are capable of is what is really phhuckking funny and illustrates lack of knowledge.

Your original question to the board was about how many long range shooters use a scope set up in mil. It has been answered somewhat.

I think your real question is what is the best set up to use to be able to consistently hit targets at any range.

The answer to that will best be found by asking others that do more than hunt.

Whether you're shooting a rifle, pistol, shotgun or bow, you need to find out how the guys who compete configure their tools. In these games, usually only first round hits count or matter and that should tell you something.

Wanna have a pistol that shoots lights-out? See what IPSC or 3-Gun shooters are using. Want a shotgun that shoots where you look, is fitted properly, etc? See how the Sporting Clay competitors configure and fit their shotguns. Same goes with a rifle.

There's a reason practical rifle competitors use reticles set up in either MOA or mil and it's directly applicable to long range hunting. Just as many things pistol and shotgunners do to their weapons to hit more targets consistently are directly applicable to hunting.

Whether you choose an MOA or mil reticle really doesn't matter, just pick one and go with it. Either one will result in more first round hits than reticles with lesser information. That is if you actually practice.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.