Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Let it be said that Burns system, is, apart from his proprietary reticle, damn near exactly what the Army used for a generation with the M3 Ultra scope on the M24.

How is a fixed 10x with M3 covered turrets and a 4.5-14x50 with 1/3 MOA turrets damn near the same... Other than having a BDC Turret they are nothing close to being the same...

I think the BDC is kind of the point.... range it, dial it to the range, and smash it. This schitt isn't that hard.... and doing math ain't the same as shooting stuff. Most folks don't even need to know the math, heck most folks don't want to know the math.... they just want to be able to put bullets on target.

I've seen John's system in action, in the field, and it works very well. I've been using custom calibrated turrets for 10+ years now.... and for smacking stuff in hunting situations.... it's still the system I prefer. Maybe that's because 10+ years ago I saw John's system, it seemed simple and effective.... so that's where I gravitated. I still use 90% of what I've learned from John, his shows , and his excellent video series. John seems to get a lot of flak for pimping his wares... why? I don't know anyone who has put more critter dicks in the dirt ON VIDEO at long range than John. Like 'stick..... he's not often wrong.... but he can be a bit of an azz hole.... so am I, and I'm not right nearly as often as those guys.

Flip side..... Form also makes a living teaching/showing folks how to make hits at long range. He's obviously good at.... as folks pay him. When he talks about things like glass durability and tac type shooting... I tend to listen. I'd love to send a few rounds down range with him.... as I'm sure I'd come away a better shooter.

I think it's pretty interesting when folks get their boxers all in bunch over subjects like this.... especially some of the very experienced guys. At the end of the day.... LR hunting and Tac shooting require many of the same skills.... but they ain't the same. I liken it to the difference between MMA and Boxing. A boxer (tac shooter) deals with far more refined rules and engagement situations. Being a better boxer will make you a better MMA fighter. But, boxers typically get worked pretty well when some other variables are thrown at them. A hunting situation is always different... different angles, and real world results. Hunters deal with other variables that are meaningless in a tac match. It isn't simply hit or miss in the field. Put an MMA type guy in with a quality hands guy.... and make them box... they'll get outclassed quickly. Reverse that, and the MMA guy will figure out a way to gain an advantage. Put me in a LR steel match, and I'll make some hits... but I'll miss more than I should. Put me in the field, on critters.... and I'll still miss more than I should. What can I say... I get my ass kicked at the gym too... boxing or grappling.

Tanner and I were laughing about it the other day. I bet John, and Pat, and Larry, and Rick, and Jordan, and Billy, and whoever Form is.... would all get along pretty well in an actual shooting situation. I bet they can all hit stuff, and I bet the techniques and philosophies are really far more similar than they are different.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......